Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Adventures in Acorn Squash

(I tried to publish this a few months ago, and only noticed this week that it never published)
Acorn squash.... A strange looking squash that sat on my counter for weeks, than became part of my Thanksgiving decorations. It's very pretty when presented that way, but alas, after Thanksgiving it's time to decorate for Christmas and there was no place in the Christmas decor for the acorn squash. Time for me to figure out how to cook the thing.
Now why, you might ask, did I have this thing lying around in the first place? Well I participate in Bountiful Baskets and it was one of the items.
So, I searched the Internet and found that for the most part it's cooked 1 way; sliced in half with butter and brown sugar. Although after some more intense searching I did find a few more ways to cook it up. This is a variation of one of those ways.
First you take an acorn squash, some kind of butter spray, and brown sugar.







Next, you slice the squash in half. Now, that sounds simple enough right? WRONG! That thing is pure evil to cut up! I tried to slice it on my mandolin, than with a large knife, than the serrated bread knife, than I cut it in half and sliced the halves on the mandolin. Still supper hard to slice, but slightly better that way.






Next spray the slices with the butter spray and sprinkle with brown sugar.




Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, turn over and spray and sprinkle the other side. Cook for another 10 minutes.
Yummy yummy.




Next time I might try peeling the acorn squash first.... Not sure how that will work. Guess ill find out.

*Note* peeling didn't work at all. So, please, unless you know a secret (and if so please let me know!) don't waste your time trying to peel it.

Acorn squash
Butter spray
Brown sugar

Oven at 350

Slice squash up and place on cookie sheet
Spray with butter spray
Sprinkle with brown sugar
Cook for 15 minutes
Turn over and repeat the butter and sugar
Cook for 10 minutes.
Enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment